Pages

Thursday, October 1, 2009

Who says women can’t fish?

Hey ladies, you don’t have to be a “tom boy” to like to fish. I am certainly not your typical fishing person and I’m not shy to show it either. I am a “girly-girl” at heart who truly loves the sport of fishing. I am who I am and I like what I like.





Then why aren’t there more women anglers? Well let's look at some stereotypical reasons that men think:

• Women don't like touching maggots (hold the smirks).

• Then there's the excuse that women don't like handling the fish.

• Women don't like to sit around for hours waiting for something to happen.

• "It’s a waste of time, I could be doing other things".

• "The clothing is all greens and not very flattering."

• “My waders are too warm or cold.”

• "There are no toilets - I'd have to wee behind a bush."

• "I don't have the time to waste coming fishing" and you think I do?

• "I'll get all slimy and smell of fish."

• The men don’t want them to.

Many women have watched the men go off for their big weekend of fishing. And hey, were you invited? Maybe you wanted to see what it's all about. After all who said fishing is just a men’s thing?

If you're the sort who loves to be in the outdoors and near the water, you may actually want to try fishing out. Many people think that fishing is a solitary activity, but it doesn't have to be. And as for being quiet, unless you decide to go bush bashing up a stream to go trout fishing, you don't really have to sneak around. Anyways, have you ever seen a bunch of women be quiet?

The good thing about fishing is that it can be a social thing or a solitary activity. Fishing can be something you do for the peace and quiet, in fact if the fish are not biting it's a great place to meditate. On the other hand, it can also be a women’s day out. You can catch up, socialize, and experience some pretty funny things. Make sure you take a camera if you go with the women, sometimes when you're fishing words just aren't enough. Fishing can actually be hilarious, especially in a group.



I have to admit that there's a bit of technique and knowledge needed to fishing. So it's highly advisable to take someone along with you who has fished before (and knows what they are doing). Once you learn, you should be fine.

Fishing is a great sport; it can be very stress relieving and relaxing, a challenge, or a complete ball of fun, depending on whom you take. And for those who are there to just enjoy being outdoors, it usually doesn't matter if you don't catch anything at all!


0 comments:

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More