Pages

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Dad, Stop Talking - A She's So Fly "Featured Author" Showcase



Dad, Stop Talking


by Trout Whisperer

My daughter has in her hands, a nine foot, five-weight for the first time ever. She is twelve years old. We're on the Iron River in northern Wisconsin trout fishing. I'm offering many pertinent points on how to fly fish. “Dad I got it.” She does not want any more pointers from me for the rest of today. So I just coach like I’m talking to myself about keeping the back cast up, don’t forget the ten and two o’clock position. “YEAH Dad!”


As her fly hits the water she casts a glance at me and then back at the river’s surface. I say, “It’s a good idea to watch the strike indicator instead of me,” so she will not miss quick hitting fish. “Watch for the fish to hit, okay? Concentrate on the casting and the fishing okay? “Dad if you stop talking I could”. So in my fatherly head I think, “I hope a fish hits, that will teach her.”


The rod silences me as it snaps taught. Even God is on her side. The arc is telling and she responds by raising the rod. Now she is playing the fish by just holding on. Talk about a burst of upstream questions. I reel up and drop my rod on shore as I come in behind her. She asks “What do I do?” “Feather the line through your fingers as the fish lunges,” I say. “Honey, back away to the shore for more solid footing but keep the line tight”...READ MORE....

Note from She's So Fly: Subscribe to Trout Whisperer's blog on kdal610 Radio and enjoy many more stories like this one.




A She's So Fly featured recommended product:

0 comments:

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More