Pages

Saturday, November 14, 2009

Fly Fishing Basics - Finger Guards


 By Sherri Russell

Yesterday when I went fly fishing on the Manistee River in Michigan, I was taught a different method of fly fishing called Chuck and Duck.  Chuck and Duck fly fishing is the most effective type of fly fishing to land fish in the Manistee River.  While fishing this method, my fingers were getting burned from the line while stripping it in.  My guide told me that I could use tape or stripping guards on my fingers to protect them and be able to pull the line in much quicker. My experience was much more pleasant once I put the tape on my fingers and I suggest you do the same.


I recommend that you pack one of these items below as part in your essential fly gear box before heading out to fish.


Flexx-Rap Finger Protection Tape Wrap
Special - $3.99

This fabric-like tape stretches to help protect your fingers from cuts and friction burns from fly line (especially running line) and monofilament. Also greatly improves your grip on equipment and tools. The material is waterproof, breathable and hypoallergenic. The roll easier fits in your pocket or fly vest. Includes zip-lock style bag for secure storage. Very easy to use - just wrap your finger and you're ready to go fishing!
Also great for surfcasters to protect your fingers from the spectra based lines (Power Pro, Fireline etc).


Fly Line Stripping Guards
Item: XK-3200700
$5.99

This stripping guard slips over your finger and is made of Lycra® to prevent line burn. Stripping line through the guard helps keep line clean for better floating and casting. Per 3.




You can visit our on-line shopping mall and purchase these items from Cabalas and save money and earn cash rewards.

0 comments:

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More